Sunday, March 13, 2011

Drat!

I totally missed an opportunity to be interviewed for an international feminist project.  All because I've been forgetting to check one of my eleventythousand email addys.

Back in January, apparently, Jessica Yee of  Feminists With Disabilities tried to contact me!

An excerpt:
....

"I am currently writing a book called "Feminism FOR REAL - Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism" (I have attached the guidelines for your reference) and am looking to interview someone who identifies as queer or Two Spirit person of color who identifies with a disability or has their own identity for "disability" to interview for the book. I'd like to chat about your thoughts about the "feminist" movement - the isolationism and sea of white that exists in feminism, the gender and sexuality policing that happens because of "women", and the silence about dis/abilities.


Would you be interested in being interviewed for the book?" ....
.......................

Shoot!  I am totally interested.  I'm not sure  if the window has closed yet, so if it hasn't please contact me Jessica Yee! 

Although I've already replied to your email and you know this.  Just thought it couldn't hurt to re-post here.

It's time I started re-evaluating my ideas about having a disability, which I've been putting off (one of many soulsearch projects).

What ARE my ideas?  I know that my queerness, for lack of a better term (i don't love queer as an identity for myself,  but I don't know of any other that really describes my experience either), is very intimately connected to the way I experience my disability and I know specifically that my being a woman of color and trans further informs how I experience my disability issues.

Honestly?  Brutally?  I experience disability as this burdensome condition that makes me feel incredibly vulnerable to attack on all other fronts. That's why I know I have alot of work ahead of me.  I, literally, can no longer run from trouble the way I used to, I can no longer do certain kinds of work to support myself (no i don't mean sex work, I mean any kind of work that requires standing or walking for long periods), which limits the types of work I can do that can accomodate my chronic pain issues.  And then there is the PTSD... which is a whole 'nother bag of worms.

I have sooooo much to work out, and I'm sort of slacking on doing it.  Okay, not even sort of.  But people reaching out to me to talk about it like this inspires me to start taking this work seriously. 

Off to do some feminist blogreading!

No comments:

Post a Comment